Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Protein Packed Dinner

I should start this post by letting you all know that since starting my new job and having tons and tons of free foods (mostly dessert) shoved in my face for the taking, I've decided I need to start paying attention to what I eat. No more fast-food lunches, cheese covered pasta every night (maybe once a week or so) and definitely no more dessert in excess! I am a changed woman! I have pumped up my work-out routine and made a pledge to pay more attention to what I am eating.

After assessing my food in-take, I've noticed that I don't eat near enough protein so tonight, I am making a meat-free protein packed meal: Quinoa with Chickpeas and Tomatoes!! It was delicious! This was my first time having quinoa, but I have heard so much about how great it is for you. I loved it! It has a similar texture to couscous but contains far more nutritional value. But I have to warn you: you MUST clean the quinoa extremely well and that can be quite annoying as it takes some time.


Recipe:
1 cup quinoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups water
1 cup canned garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
1 tomato, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons lime juice
4 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
Directions:
1) Place the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold, running water until the water no longer foams. Bring the quinoa, salt and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
2) Once done, stir in the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, garlic, lime juice and olive oil. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley to serve.

Recipe courtesy of AllRecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment