Until now, I haven't attempted a gluten free version of meatballs but have been craving them so much. I enjoyed some great chicken meatballs at The Meatball shop and was inspired to try my own version, stuffed with mozzarella. This recipe turned out great! My boyfriend and I absolutely loved them! I served them over my favorite homemade sauce that I had stored in the freezer.
1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 lb ground chicken
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
4 to 5 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
Sauce of your choice
1) Preheat oven to 400 F with a rack in the upper third of the oven.
2) In a skillet and set over medium heat add the onion, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and cook until the onion has softened, about 6 minutes. Remove the onion and garlic to the plate and allow to cool slightly.
3) In a medium sized bowl, add breadcrumbs, egg, chicken, 1 tablespoon of tomato paste and the parsley. Use your hands to gently combine the ingredients.
4) Form the mixture into 12 meatballs. Poke a hole in the middle and stuff with mozzarella then cover with meat. Set in a 9x13 baking dish.
4) Stir together the remaining tablespoons of tomato paste and the oil then brush over meatballs (the paste/oil won't combine in any cohesive manner, just do the best you can).
5) Bake in the upper third of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through.
6) Serve over your favorite sauce and enjoy!
|How AMAZING does that look!?|