Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Bite Out of My Year

I've spent the better part of this year on a journey. One that I didn't expect to take let alone to bring me to where I am today. In January, life brought me to a new apartment in a new area of my favorite neighborhood as well as to a new job in an old familiar neighborhood. Thus my journey began.

On the home front, I was happy to discover my morning commute would be easier and beyond thrilled to find I am conveniently located near an amazingly large suburban-like supermarket!! The foodie fanatic in me was ecstatic.  Later in the year, in an unexpected twist I got Hillery as my roommate, of sorts! She moved in the apartment directly across the hall and it's absolutely amazing! Imagine having a super awesome roommate with twice the space and privacy. It has become a match made in heaven. Where else in NYC can you go borrow a cup of sugar from a neighbor and not be concerned??

On the work front, I landed a job at The American Cancer Society just after the new year and began two days after my birthday. I soon learned that I work with some really awesome people, a few who've turned into great friends. On top of that, it's an amazing feeling to know that the work you do each day is in some way helping so many people battling all forms of cancer. In September I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to support ACS on a larger scale. After raising over $1,500 for the American Cancer Society, I rapelled 470 feet down the side of a building in Jersey City, NJ. It was an incredible experience that I'll never forget.

This journey also took me to Haiti, on stage at a date auction fundraiser for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society, to medieval times, the Color Run, numerous work galas, Googa Mooga, Gov Ball, through Hurricane Sandy, out late nights with new and old friends and to tons of restaurants around NYC.

Obviously, my busy schedule kept me from regularly cooking at home and provided hardly any time to focus on my blog. However, I never went hungry and continued to cook when I could and enjoy meals out when I couldn't. I was sure to capture as many of my experiences as possible because even though this blog was not my first priority, it was still on my mind.

And with that, I am back!! I've taken the time to think long and hard about this blog and have realized how much I miss working on it. I love sharing new recipes I make and also plan to share with my readers the wonderful meals I've experienced while dinning around the city. In the coming days, I will be back to full speed recapping you on my first ever home cooked Thanksgiving and plenty of other good eats thereafter. In the meantime, check out some my above highlighted memories of this year!

Top left: Rappeling in Jersey City, Top right: Medieval Times, Bottom: Haiti

Top: The color Run, Bottom left: Gov Ball, Bottom Right: Googa Mooga

Top left: Date acution, Bottom left: Night out with friends, Right: Posing before a gala

No comments:

Post a Comment