Friday, March 29, 2013

Gluten Free Shrimp and Brown Rice with Tomato, Roasted Red Pepper and Feta

For my first post-declaration meal, I had a craving for something Greek. I've been doing a pretty good job of keeping my pantries stocked so it took me seconds to plan out the meal, plus I just bought a TON of Feta cheese and had to use it STAT! Who doesn't love shrimp cooked in onion, garlic and a little butter? Toss some sauteed tomatoes, roasted red pepper and feta in with brown rice and you've got yourself a meal! The only thing that would have been better are the olives that I meant to put in, but forgot all about since I have far more than enough canned goods in my cupboard. Regardless, it was pretty dang tasty and ready to eat in less than 20 minutes. Check out the full recipe below.

Recipe:
1 tbsp butter
1/2 lb raw shrimp, tails removed
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup roasted red pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1/4 cup feta, plus more for topping

Directions:
1) Add butter to a saute pan over medium high heat. Add in onion and tomato and cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Toss in garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add roasted red pepper and stir for about 2 minutes until heated through.
2) Meanwhile, cook rice as directed on package. For brown rice, typically you add twice the amount of water to rice, in this case 1 cup rice with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until water has disolved.
3) Once rice is cooked, toss into saute pan and stir with rice and veggie mixture. Add 1/4 cup of feta and stir to combine. Top with extra feta, if you choose.

That's it! The rice took the longest so I got that started while I was cutting tomato and onions and by the time the shrimp mixture was cooked it was time to add the rice. Like I said, I meant to add black olives but I clearly didn't miss them until after the fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment