Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Breakfast Quinoa

Over the last few years, I have fallen in love with quinoa. It's my go to side dish, or base for quick shrimp or ground turkey dishes. When saw a recipe for apples and cinnamon breakfast quiona I was beyond excited! I made a few tweaks to better fit my tastes and I am not even embarrassed to say that I eat this dish EVERY single work-day. Literally, every week I make a batch on Sunday and eat off it all week.

 Recipe:
1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon + more for sprinkling
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup  milk, per serving

Directions:
 Combine quinoa, water, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes until quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.
*If eating immediately, divide cooked quinoa between four bowls then stir in apple sauce, raisins, and milk.
**If saving for work, I scoop out what looks to be one fifth of the quinoa, pour in the milk and microwave for one minute. Once heated, stir in apple sauce and raisins. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired. This time around I topped with a few apple chunks, but it's equally great with just raisins and apple sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment