Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Simple New Start

Since it's my first week back and they always say "take baby steps" I started out with a simple dish. While scanning through my Better Home & Garden Cook Book I stopped at a recipe for Spaghetti with Beef and Mushroom Sauce. This sounded interesting and oddly enough, I can't remember the last time I cooked spaghetti. (I know what you're thinking..."She makes pasta dishes all the time" but they are never spaghetti dishes - always another sort of pasta.) I read the recipe and luckily, I only had to pick up two or three ingredients that I didn't already have. It was destiny! My first blog worthy meal in the new pad!

(Please note: I'm still trying to figure out the best way to snap photos of my meals in the new place. The lighting is very different.)




Recipe:
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 10.75 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 4 oz can sliced mushroom, drained (I used 1/2 cup freshly sliced mushrooms instead)
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/4 tsp black pepper
12 oz dried spaghetti

1) In a large saucepan, cook the ground beef and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender; drain. Stir in mushroom soup, tomato sauce, mushrooms, Italian seasoning and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions, drain. Serve sauce over hot spaghetti.

*BH&G marks this as one of their low fat dishes! Per 1 cup of pasta + 2/3 cup sauce, it's only 398 calories and 11 grams of fat! Not bad at all, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment