Monday, April 12, 2010

Surf and Turf


I have been dying to make scallops but every time I go to the grocery store, I can't seem to find them (the joys of city living.) My plan was to go to the fish market, a few stops away from my apartment, but as I was cruising through Costco one night, I came across a bag a frozen scallops. I was trilled! I'm sure fresh scallops would be the best, but by purchasing a bag of frozen ones, I am able to enjoy this recipe again and again! :)

I could NOT get over how amazing these scallops tasted. Before making them, I searched through many websites to get the best recipe since I know how delicate these are to cook. I thought I had nailed down my choice from Food Network then came across this great recipe from Annie's Eats. Aside from tasting incredibly delicious, these were so quick to cook.

And I couldn't eat the scallops alone, so I popped a seasoned steak in the broiler for 8 minutes on each side.



Recipe:
1 lb. fresh bay or sea scallops
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
½ cup minced shallots (about 2 large)
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2-3 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, minced
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 lemon, halved

Directions:
1) If using bay scallops, leave them whole. If using sea scallops, cut them in half horizontally (or, leave them whole and cook a bit longer). Season the scallops with salt and pepper, toss with flour, and shake off the excess.
2) In a large skillet, melt 2 tbsps of the butter over high heat until sizzling. Add the scallops to the pan in a single layer. Lower the heat to medium and allow the scallops to brown lightly on one side without moving. Then turn and brown lightly on the other side. This should take about 3-4 minutes total (closer to 8 minutes for sea scallops left whole).
3) Add the rest of the butter to the pan with the scallops and let it melt. Add the shallots, garlic, and parsley to the pan and sauté for 2 more minutes, tossing the seasonings with the scallops. Add the wine to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Taste the sauce for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Serve hot, with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice over the scallops.

No comments:

Post a Comment