Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mmmm That's Beefy!!

Right around the corner from my office is a restaurant called Fat Annie's Truck Stop. It's your standard overpriced NYC dinner and people at work are always talking about how great their beef stroganoff is. I can't bring myself to buying a $17 plate of beef and noodles so I used a recipe that my mom gave me years ago tried it out for myself.

I'll be honest, my rendition could have used a bit more sauce. There wasn't enough to cover all of the noodles and meat so a few bites were very dry, very tasty, but hard to swallow.

Recipe:
12 oz lean boneless sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into strips
2 tsp olive oil
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp paprika
4 oz wide egg noodles
1/4 cup non fat sour cream
1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 tsp dried dillweed

Directions:
1) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; saute, until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
2) In same skillet over medium-high heat, cook mushrooms and 1/4 cup of broth for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, saute for 3 minutes. Stir in paprika until well blended. Add the remaining broth; cook for 4 minutes.
3) While the mushroom mixture is simmering, cook noodles according to package, but do not add salt.
4) In a small bowl, combine sour cream and yogurt. Mix well; set aside. Return the beef and any accumulated juices from the plate to the skillet; reduce heat to low and stir gently. Stir sour cream mixture into skillet, heat through.
5) Drain the noodles. Place on serving plates and top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with dill and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment