Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pork! (The Other White Meat!)

I finally got a chance to look through my new issue of Food Network magazine and was thrilled to find a new recipe for a roasted apple and onion dish. If you recall my post from a few months ago, I made a FN recipe for Chicken thighs baked with apples and onion. This month, FN featured Pork Chops with Apples and Garlic Smashed Potatoes. I absolutely loved their chicken rendition and couldn't wait to try this one out.

I noticed the chops recipe called for tart Granny Smith apples, where as the chicken dish called for Courtland Apples. I could already tell this would be equally delicious, yet not the same as before. I couldn't help myself while cooking the apples and onions and snapped a shot of the beautiful color!

If raw onions actually tasted good, I would have stopped and eaten then! (haha... maybe not.) Anyway... on to the recipe!


Recipe:
1 lb small fingerling potatoes (I subbed in yukon golds)
2 cloves garlic
kosher salt
4 1/2 inch-thick boneless pork loin chops
2 tsp chopped fresh sage
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large red onion, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
2 Granny Smith apples, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cups apple cider
1/4 cup buttermilk

Directions:
1) Put the potatoes and garlic in a saucepan, cover with cold water and season with salt. Cover and bring to a boil, then uncover and continue cooking until tender, about 15 minutes. Cover and set aside.
2) Meanwhile, rub both sides of pork chops with sage, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high, then add 1 tsp olive oil and sear the chops until golden on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to plate. Wipe out the skillet and add the remaining 2 tsp olive oil. Add the onion and apples and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the cider.
3) Return the chops to the skillet. Cover and cook, turning once, until just cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes, reserving 1/4 cup of liquid. Return the potatoes to the pan; add the buttermilk and mash (I didn't have buttermilk so I subbed in heavy cream.) Add cooking liquid as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chops, onion and apples. Drizzle with the pan juices.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment