Thursday, June 23, 2011

Brown Bag Lunch - Adult Style


It's time for another Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Grocery Bag section! The July/August issue of the mag was pretty decent. I was only interested in cooking 3 of the 5 recipes, but that was enough to get me going.

I figured I would start out with the easiest recipe to bring to work for lunch: Toasted Turkey Sandwich with Quick Cucumber Pickles.

I have to be honest and mention that I took a lot of short cuts on this recipe, but I was still happy with the outcome. (Since I'm sure you'll want to know what I did differently, I'll side note it below.)

Recipe:
- 1 country-style round bread loaf, sliced in 1/2 horizontally, insides scooped out. (I couldn't find this so I planned to use white bread but was pleasantly surprised when freshly baked whole grain breads came out of the oven at work the very same day.)
- 1/3 cup tapenade (I skipped this all together...couldn't find any at my grocery)
- 1/2 lb deli turkey, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 oz provolone, thinly sliced
- 2 medium cucumbers, cut lengthwise into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover inside of both bread halves with an even layer of tapenade. Arrange turkey on bottom half of bread. Top with zucchini, tomato, and cheese. Sandwich with top half of bread and wrap tightly with foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, 25 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss cucumbers with vinegar and sugar; season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temp, 20 minutes.
3) Unwrap sandwich and cut into 4 wedges with a serrated knife. Serve with pickled cucumbers.

*Obviously, I couldn't follow the directions on this one since I was preparing it at work so the night before bringing to work, I grilled the zucchini and packaged all the ingredients in sandwich baggies. At work, I toasted my bread, assembled and enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment