Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pasta Shells with No-Cook Tomato Sauce

Tonight, dinner had to be quick. I was exhausted after a long day but I set out to complete my last recipes from the Everyday Food Grocery Bag series (well the 3 out of 5 I decided to make, anyway.) Luckily, I saved the easiest for last - Pasta Shells with no-cook Tomato Sauce.

I have to be honest, this recipe will not make my list of repeat recipes, but the notion of making a pasta without actually cooking a sauce will inspire me in future meals. (The acid in this dish did not sit well with me, but I did love topping my pasta with ricotta, which is not something I've ever done.

While I probably did not set this recipe up to be very promising, I would still suggest trying it. After 20-ish minutes in the kitchen, you'll have a full meal...and you may love it. To each their own, right?


Recipe:

2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes (4 cups), any color
2 small red, yellow or orange bell peppers, medium diced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp red-wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper
3/4 lbs medium pasta shells
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn if large
1/2 cup ricotta, for serving

Directions:
1) In a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, peppers, oil, vinegar and garlic; season with salt ad pepper. Let sit at room temp, 20 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and add pasta to sauce, tossing to combine. Add basil and toss. Divide pasta among four bowls and top each with ricotta.

No comments:

Post a Comment