Last night, I had the pleasure of cooking for my boyfriend, his brother and girlfriend. When planning this meal, I knew I had to cook something pretty substantial. Both Christian and his brother eat like 500 pound gorillas. (Seriously!) If I prepared small portions, I would have been in trouble.
I went with Three Meat Pasta and served it along side White Bean and Roasted Red Pepper Bruschetta. I knew meat, veggies, carbs and cheese would be a hit! Lucky for me, I was right!! After multiple servings we were highly satisfied.
You have got to try this!
Meat Sauce Recipe:
1 combo pack of ground veal, beef and pork, about 1 1/2 lbs
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tomato paste
2 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes in juice
2 28 oz cans of whole pealed tomatoes in juice
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp rosemary
2 bay leaves
1) In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add pepper flakes and cook for about 15 seconds. Add the onion and cook until golden brown for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) Add garlic to onions and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 minute. Add the cans of crushed tomatoes then add whole tomatoes, one at a time, crushing tomatoes by hand as you go. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste. Simmer sauce over low heat, covered.
3) Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat, thyme, oregano and rosemary. Season with the second teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste. Break up meat and cook until browned, about 8 minutes.
4) Once cooked through, add meat to the sauce, being careful not to add the fat and drippings from the meat. Cover the sauce and simmer over low heat for about 90 minutes.
5) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
*Note: This makes a lot of sauce. You will definitely have some left over. Freeze and save for a later date.
Now on to our amazing side dish!
1 15 oz can cannellini beans
1/4 cup roasted red peppers, packed in oil
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 clove garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
1 French or Italian baguette
1) Turn broiler on to preheat while preparing bruschetta.
2) In a food processor, add beans, red peppers, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic. Blend until almost smooth.
3) While food processor is running, slowly add oil and process until creamy.
4) Toast both sides of baguette in broiler. Top with bruschetta and enjoy!