Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Semi-Homemade Apple Pie

The beautiful finished product!
As promised in my previous post, I have a great semi-homemade apple pie recipe that I tried out on Sunday. It was my first attempt at baking pie, so I kept it simple and purchased roll-out pie crust instead of trying to make my own. Eventually, I will take the time to make a complete pie from scratch, but after two days of cooking and third recipe to follow tomorrow. I figured cutting a few corners wouldn't hurt anyone.

I should be honest and mention that I had no special occasion planned to debut this pie, so instead I picked up a carton of Vanilla Bean ice cream and enjoyed a few pieces of this on my own. It was great! (And the sugar from the combo kept me awake extra late Sunday night.) ;)

Who doesn't love a little Apple Pie a la Mode?


Recipe:
3 lbs mixed apples (I chose McIntosh, Granny Smith and Gala)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 disks of 12" pie dough
1 large egg, beaten
sugar, for sprinkling

Directions:
1) Peel and core the apples slicing 1/4 inch thick. Toss with lemon juice and sugar. 
2) Heat 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apples and cook, stirring until tender, about 10 minutes. (Be sure not to overcook or you'll end up with mushy pie filling.) 
3) Stir in flour, cinnamon and salt cooking until thickened, about 1 additional minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
4) Roll out 1 disk of dough on a floured surface. Gently, ease into a 9" pie pan. 
5) Add the apples, forming a slight mound in the middle of the pan. Cut remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and scatter on top of apples. 
6) Roll remaining disk of dough. Carefully, lay over the filling pressing the edges of the crust together. Fold overhand pieces under itself and crimp together to seal. 
7) Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with additional sugar, as desired. Cut a few slits on the top of crust. Chill for 1 hour.
8) Place a baking sheet on the lowest rack in the oven and preheat to 425 degrees for 30 minutes. (You oven should be preheated before the time is up, but continue the process until 30 minutes has passed.) 
9) Once oven and baking sheet are heated, place pie on the baking sheet. Lower the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees and bake until golden brown, about 1 hour to 1 hour, 10 minutes. (If the edges of the pie start to brown quickly, create a foil-covering and place atop edges of the pie.)
10) Let cool and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment