Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Arugula Salad with Steak and Blue Cheese

I'm going to just put this out there...when I have something in my fridge or freezer, I will cook with it until it is gone. For instance, all of my chicken recipes over the last three months or steak, over the last three weeks. Is that weird? To me it just makes sense. Why let something go to waste when you have perfectly good steak or chicken in your freezer? Plus, we're still kind of in a recession so I honestly can't afford to be buying extra food when I don't need it.

Now that I have that covered...let's move on. I had steak in my freezer, not a lot of money in my wallet and was too tired to go to the store after work. Needless to say, I visited my friend Giada De Laurentiis at Food Network and came up with the perfect solution!


Arugula Salad with Steak and Blue Cheese

Recipe:
2 8 oz filets or top sirloin steaks, panfried or grilled with mild seasoning
5 oz fresh baby arugula
2 oz blue cheese
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
small hand full of pine nuts
small hand full of crushed walnuts
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

1) In a large bowl, combine arugula, onion, pine nuts, walnuts and blue cheese.
2) Stir evoo and balsamic vinegar together to create dressing. Toss in with arugula mixture to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3) Cut the steaks crossways into thin slices. Arrange the steak slices atop the salad. Drizzle extra dressing if desired.

This salad was a great fix to a long day. (And I LOVE blue cheese, so what could be better?)

No comments:

Post a Comment