Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pizza! Pizza!

Don't you hate when you see a certain type of food on a TV show then you immediately get a non-stop craving for that one thing? It's the worst! Well my friends, most of my Sunday was spent watching the Food Network and The Best Thing I Ever Ate: Pizza sucked me in! I literally have been thinking about pizza ever since. Usually, I am a simple topping kind of girl - either plain cheese or cheese and peperoni. But this episode completely changed my taste buds! The types of pizza they were talking about were incredible.

Did you know there is a pizza place in Brooklyn that serves a white pizza, covered in arugula salad and fresh parm? YUM! Or, that Duff Goldman from Ace of Cakes has Chicago style pizza flown to him in Maryland? How crazy is that? After thinking about this off and on all day on Monday, I decided I had to feed the craving! I asked my food loving co-worker Anne what her favorite pizza is and decided I NEEDED that same pie!

Shrimp Scampi Pizza!


Recipe:
10-16 oz store bought pizza dough
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
2 tbsp garlic, minced (appx 9 cloves)
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup chicken stock (I accidentally bought broth! Oops! I think my scampi was
suppose to be a bit thicker than it turned out.)
2 tbsp lemon juice
4 cubes (1 oz) butter
dash of salt and pepper
2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves (I left this off my dish.)
1) Preheat oven to 550 degrees.
2) Stretch pizza dough to make 16 inch pizza, or remove pre-shapped dough from package. Top with mozzarella and bake on a pizza pan for 5 minutes. Crust will only be partially cooked. (I coated my dough with a little bit of evoo and garlic before adding cheese for an extra kick.)
3) In medium skillet over high heat, heat oil until very hot, remove from heat and toss in shrimp and garlic, and sauce.
4) Return to high heat and add wine, stock and lemon juice. Bring to simmer. Add butter and heat until melted, then remove from heat. Season mixture with salt and pepper. (Shrimp will finish cooking on the pizza.)
5) Spread mixture over crust and finish baking until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, let cool a few minutes before cutting.

If you are doubting this pie, I promise you... it's delicious! The shrimp tastes great with the cheese and isn't over powering. If you not a huge fan of shrimp, just pick a few pieces off! ;)

Recipe courtesy of Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment