Friday, January 22, 2010

Quick Weekend Fix!

If your weekends are anything like mine (laziness the first half of the day, then frantically cleaning and running errands the rest of the weekend) then you probably don't spend your time preparing 5 course gourmet meals. I'd love to meet someone that does!

Let me tell you... last weekend was a doozy for me! With the stress of moving next week (Yes! No more '70's kitchen! YAY!), cleaning the apartment and packing for the vacation that I am currently on, making lunch and dinner was the last thing on my mind. After numerous cries of hunger from my boyfriend, I whipped up the quickest, yet filling thing I could think of!





Broccoli, Chicken and Garlic Pasta!
Recipe:
2 chicken breasts, chopped
1 8 oz package of broccoli
1/2 pound of your favorite pasta
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1) Cook pasta as directed on box, strain then set aside.
2) Add garlic and 2 tbsp of olive oil and in a large frying pan and cook chicken and broccoli over medium high heat, chop broccoli then toss in pasta. Pour remaining olive oil over pasta and toss all ingredients together


That's it for Saturday!! So easy and so delicious! This is great for a quick dinner. You've got everything you need right in one bowl: Meat, veggies and starch! YUMMY!



Since we all know packing isn't quick or easy for that matter, I was definitely NOT thinking about making dinner on Sunday night. Sadly, money doesn't grow on trees so I had to grin and bare in the kitchen. I made the fastest thing I could think of. Again, it was chicken...but who really cares!?



Satay Chicken with a Peanut Sauce
Chicken Recipe:
3 chicken breasts
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
skewers

Cut chicken breasts in half, then half again. Slide on to skewer, then grill on over medium heat on either a grill pan or frying pan. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Once cooked, cover then set aside.


Peanut Sauce Recipe:
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup apple juice
2 tsp red curry paste
2 tbsp soy sauce
handful of crushed peanuts


1) Microwave apple juice for 1 minute on high.


2) In the meantime, place peanut butter, curry paste and soy sauce in a bowl. Once apple juice is heated, pour over other ingredients and whisk together. (The hot apple juice binds the ingredients together and makes the peanut butter much easier to work with!)


3) Sprinkle crushed peanuts over top and enjoy with your chicken!


How great does this look? Trust me...it tastes amazing!




Again, I made these for a quick weekend fix, but they'd be great any night of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment