Monday, October 4, 2010

(un) Garlic Ginger Chicken Thighs

I've been on a cooking kick lately and chicken has been the main course. Like I've mentioned A LOT lately, The October issue of Food Network Mag is amazing! If you haven't picked it up yet, you should.

Once section of the mag contained Guy Fieri's 10 Tailgating Rules (and recipes), one of them being Dirty P's Garlic-Ginger Chicken Thighs. Sounds good, right? But how does one prepare such a dish for a tailgate? Guy's tip: marinate over night so all you have to do is unpack and cook the meat at the tailgate.

I don't do much tailgating myself, but thought this would be a perfect work-night dinner. It's quick and packed full of flavor. If you paid any attention to my title of this, you might be asking yourself "Why did she name this (un) Ginger chicken?" Well.... to be honest, the recipe called for it, and it was the only ingredient I didn't have at home and was so lazy and tired from work that day, so I skipped that part. Oops! I don't think missing the ginger did anything to ruin the dish, but I bet the flavor would have been even better if I had used it. Oh well.. next time. ;)


Recipe:
2 pounds skin-on, boneless chicken thigh (I used bone-on thighs, they came out just fine.)
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp minced peeled ginger (or not, in my case)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh tangerine or orange juice (fresh?? Not so much...try Tropicana)
Ground Pepper
Vegetable Oil, for the grill

Guy's Directions: (If cooking by grill)
1) Combine chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, juice and 1 tsp of pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal and shake to coat the chicken with marinade. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
2) Preheat a grill to medium high and oil the grate. Grill the chicken skin-side down until marked, 5 to 6 minutes. Flip and continue to grill until cooked through, about 5 more minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.

My Directions: (cooked at home via oven)
1) Combine chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, juice and 1 tsp of pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal and shake to coat the chicken with marinade. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
2) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Cook skin-side down for about 6 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Place skillet into the oven and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until cooked through. Remove, let cool, then serve over rice or potatoes. (In my case, overly fried rice...it was like eating fried rice crispies. Better luck next time on that.) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment