Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday Fun-Day!

When I moved out of my family's house many years ago, my mom gave me her old crock pot (and by old, I mean a good 15 years old.) I've only used it twice before and have planned to use it many times since and somehow never get up the energy to get the food in the crock pot at a decent time. I know it's ridiculous since the point of a crock pot is to make your life easy, but I tend to sleep in really late on the weekends and by the time I wake up, I would have to eat dinner at 9pm in order to let the meat cook for 5 to 8 hours. PATHETIC!!!

All that changed today! I got my butt out of bed at a decent time and went straight to the kitchen to get a beef roast into the crock pot. I tweaked my mom's recipe and created the most tender, juicy, delicious roast I've ever had! You've got to try this! It will leave your house smelling amazing all day and your stomach full all night. :) (I know, I'm corny.)


Recipe:
1 3-4 lb beef roast (I had a beef bottom round)
1/2 cup flour
1 large yellow onion, cut into 4 quarters then separate each piece
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup red wine
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3 cloves of garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Sides:
3 carrots, chopped into 1/4 inch slices
4 to 5 potatoes cut into wedges

Directions:
1) Plug in crock pot and set on high. Place onion into crock pot, immediately.
2) Pat roast dry, then coat in flour, shaking off excess flour. Season with salt and pepper then lay in crock pot on top of onion.
3) Pour water, garlic, mushroom soup and garlic on top.
4) Cook for about 5 hours.
5) With one hour remaining, drop potatoes and carrots into pot and cover.
*To serve, you can either shred the roast or remove from pot and slice. I prefer the sliced version. :)

After 5 hours of cooking the meat was beyond tender and the carrots and potatoes were perfect. I ate until I had to unbutton my pants! (haha TMI)

*Please excuse my awful picture. I was STARVING and did not want to waste any more time before stuffing my face :)

No comments:

Post a Comment