Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pan Seared Salmon!

Things have been pretty hectic over the last few months.  I feel like any night that I am home and ready to cook, I either have zero energy or no food in the fridge, hence the lack of new recipes! Rest assured, I am eating. I'm just not eating anything blog worthy. ;)

One of my reasons for cooking less is actually pretty amazing. Back in July I started volunteering twice a week at God's Love We Deliver, chopping veggies for soups and stews. It is such a great experience! Aside from improving my slicing skills (and ridding myself of constant blisters) it is so rewarding to know that the work I put into these shifts is enjoyed by so many the next day. God's Love serves anywhere between 1,200 to 1,500 hot meals to those in need a day. 

Anyways, back to the reason you're reading this. Since I've been eating a lot of the same old thing, when I am craving something new it seems as though fish is the first thing that comes to mind! This time, salmon! Growing up my mom always baked salmon in the oven marinated in Italian dressing, wrapped in foil. I figured I'd branch out tonight and pan sear it. Extra crispy!!



Recipe:
2 salmon filets
1 tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
2 dashes onion powder
1 tsp minced leak
2 tsp minced shallots
1 tbsp olive oil


Directions:
1) Saute the shallots and leak in a pan with olive oil until translucent and fragrant.
2) Season the salmon filets with onion powder, salt and pepper. Then add to pan.
3) Allow about 6 minutes on one side, flip then add butter.
4) Allow another six minutes or so to sear. Then remove the filets from pan and set on a separate plate.

I served my salmon atop sauteed spinach and quinoa. This dish was incredible. It was the first time in weeks that all was silent while eating. ;)

Recipe adapted from Food52.com


No comments:

Post a Comment