Thursday, August 12, 2010

I've been baking so much lately that I had to finally buckle down and try something new for dinner. I was ready to venture out and make something really out of the ordinary. That didn't work out so well. I immediately found a great chicken recipe on one of my favorite blogs, Annie's Eats. Yes, I know...50% of my dinner posts are chicken, but this dish contains artichokes. Anytime I see artichokes on the table, I run in the opposite direction. I honestly am not sure why, but I tasted them once and didn't care for the flavor.

Since I was ready to prove to myself that I can change, I gave this dish a try: Chicken and Artichokes in a White Wine Sauce. It just sounds great, right? Well it most definitely is! The tartness of the artichoke mixed with the tangyness of the wine sauce went perfectly over top the breaded chicken and mushrooms. It was like comfort food got a kick of robust flavor!


Recipe:

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp herbes de provence
(or other combo of dried herbs. I used salt free all-purpose seasoning.)
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper

2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 (14 oz) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
1/3 cup dry white wine1/3 cup chicken broth

1) In a shallow dish, combine the flour, dried herbs, salt and pepper and stir with a fork to blend. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture. Using tongs, coat the chicken breast halves in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.

2) Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. Remove the chicken to a plate; cover and keep warm.

3) Add butter to the pan and warm until melted. Next, add the mushrooms and artichokes to the pan and cook until most of the liquid is released from the mushrooms and the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.

4) In a liquid measuring cup, combine the white wine, chicken broth, and reserved tablespoon of flour; whisk until smooth. Add the mixture to the skillet, cooking until it is warm and slightly thickened. Return the chicken to the pan to warm through and cover with sauce. Serve the chicken with sauce spooned over the top, and garnish with grated Parmesan and fresh parsley as desired.

I am ready to admit it, I am anti-artichoke no more! This dish was amazing!!! You've got to try it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment