Sunday, August 22, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting


Mmmm time for another yummy cupcake recipe. Cupcake baking has become my new Sunday afternoon ritual (posting about them on the other hand has fallen to the wayside. lol)

I had a boxed mix of red velvet cake mix, left over from a previous project. I'm really into jazzing my cupcakes up or adding something unique to the mix, but I did not want to mess with these, so instead I pulled out my newly acquired Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book and whipped up some homemade cream cheese frosting.

I've only had cream cheese frosting once before, but I have been told by many red velvet cupcake loves that they just aren't the same with any other frosting so I had to try this out. I have to say... It is DELICIOUS!


Recipe:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
12 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 pound (4 cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and cream cheese until fluff, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add Sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and then vanilla, and mix until smoother and combined, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed.

*If not using immediately, frosting can be refrigerated up to 3 days in an airtight container. Before using, bring to room temperature and beat on low speed until smooth again.

I got carried away when decorating because of my new baking purchase: The Cuisipro Cupcake Corer and Decorating Set. (Google it.. it's been my best purchase yet!) This amazing little kit not only contains two squeeze bottle icing containers but also has a special cupcake corer. I was able to pack these cakes full of cream cheese frosting. Check it out!

Icing recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart's Cupcakes

Photos courtesy of Kristina Romeo

No comments:

Post a Comment