Tonight's Grocery Bag meal is Roasted Chicken with Cauliflower and Chickpeas. Roasting chicken has become my new favorite way to prepare chicken. It's amazing how many different ways you can season a chicken, then pop it in the oven for a while and BOOM! You have a super tender and flavorful meal. This recipe was no exception!
The combination of the cauliflower, tomatoes and chickpeas married very well with the juicy meat. Every bite offered the perfect balance of both tender and crunchy textures and great flavor to boot!
1 whole chicken (3.5 to 4 lbs) rince, patted dry, and cut into 8 pieces (I had my butcher cut the chicken. It saved so much time and energy!)
Course salt and ground pepper
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1 small head of cauliflower, cored and cut into 2-inch florets
1 large red onion, cut into wedges
1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1) Place a rimmed baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees, with racks in the upper and middle thirds.
2) Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Carefully remove sheets from the oven and arrange chicken, skin side up, in a single layer. Roast on upper rack, 20 minutes.
3) Remove the chicken from the oven with tongs and transfer to another rimmed baking sheet, along with tomatoes. Add cauliflower, onion and chickpeas to drippings on first sheet and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Roast chicken on the upper rack and vegetables on middle rack until chicken and cauliflower is tender when pierced with a knife, about 30 minutes.
5) Transfer chicken and vegetables to a serving dish and serve immediately.