Tuesday, April 23, 2013

G-Free Chicken, Asparagus and Mushroom Risotto

Once in a while I find myself craving rice. It doesn't happen often, but when it does my go to meal is some form of risotto. Now don't get me wrong, I could devour a huge bowl of coconut white rice any day, but I haven't attempted to make that at home just yet. As it relates to risotto, there is just something about the taste of the rice cooked in wine and broth that I absolutely love.

Last night was one of those nights. I had my risotto rice on hand, some chicken in the freezer and a few veggies in the fridge - practically fate! With no real recipe in mind, I whipped up this savory dish and was satisfied in no time!

 Recipe:
1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups gluten free chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine, I use sauvignon blanc
1 cup uncooked regular long grain rice 
1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces 
1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning 
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese 

Directions:
1) Spray 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in skillet 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until light brown.
2) Stir in broth and wine; heat to boiling. Stir in rice; reduce heat. Cover and simmer without stirring 10 minutes.
3) Stir in asparagus, mushrooms and Italian seasoning. Cover and simmer without stirring 8 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink in center; remove from heat. Stir in cheese.

Voila! A tasty meal with minimal effort. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment