Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Gluten Free Greek Chicken Quinoa

They say that cooking at home will help to ensure that gluten isn't in your food because you have full control over what you put in your meal. Well that doesn't help very much when your fail to read labels. Yes, people, I accidentally glutened myself. And when I started to get a headache while eating I got concerned.

I had made dinner for a few friends in honor of the Mad Men premier Sunday night. My menu was planned solely on what foods I knew were at my boyfriends apartment and what I had left in my fridge to bring over. It worked out perfectly, until of course I came home after dinner and read that WHEAT GLUTEN was an ingredient in the chicken broth. Ugh!! I was finally feeling good for the first time in months and then I poisoned myself. Luckily, it was nothing an excessive amount of water and sleep couldn't fix.

Take this as my Celiac PSA: always check labels!!

Now on to the recipe. It was realllllly good, regardless of my ridiculous error.


Recipe:
3 large chicken breasts, halved
1 1/2 uncooked quinoa
3 cups gluten free chicken stock
2 tbsp of olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup olives, halved
1/2 cup feta
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Place them on a rimmed cookie sheet and pop them in the oven to cook for about 25-30 minutes, flipping half way through.
2) Meanwhile, heat oil in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Sauté peppers and onion until softened, about 8 minutes. Next, add garlic and stir until fragrant, about one minute. Remove from pan and set aside.
3) In the same pan, add quinoa and chicken broth and cook over high heat until boiling then bring to a summer and until almost all water has absorbed.
4) After the chicken and quinoa have finished cooking, combine together with onions and pepper. Stir in feta, olives and salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment