Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Turkey, Mushroom and Pepper Soup

 The big day is tomorrow!! Is it weird that I'm excited to get an endoscopy?? I certainly don't think so. After tomorrow, I will have more conclusive facts about what's going on with my body. My doctor and I are highly certain that I have Celiac so the test will confirm that and rule out any other diseases like Chron's or Colitis. I'll also learn how much damage is already done and will get the results of my bone density scan. That is a lot of information so I'm pretty excited about it!

To prep for the big day, I only have to fast for 6 hours. I planned ahead and took the day off so I can sleep rather than think about how hungry I am. I'll have a meal at 8 am then crawl right back in bed! :) That's not a bad Wednesday, don't you think?

Since I'll be a little out of it after the procedure, I made a huge pot of turkey, mushroom and pepper soup tonight so I just reheat it when I get home. I took a trip to Trader Joe's on Monday and stocked up on fruit and veggies so it worked out perfectly. As I was cooking, I kept adding things but it turned out great!


Recipe:
1 lb ground turkey
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 red pepper, diced
1/2 orange pepper, diced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup frozen corn
4 cups chicken broth

Directions:
1) Add olive oil to a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook until browned all the way through. Move to one side of the pan
2) Sautee onion, peppers and tomatoes until soft, about 8 minutes. After they've cooked for about 4 minutes, add the mushrooms in. These don't need as long to cook. Once veggies are cooked, add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3) Next, add in the broth to the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, then add corn. Since this is frozen, it doesn't need long to cook. At the same time, add the cooked rice so that it soaks up the flavors.
4) The soup is ready to enjoy after about 10 more minutes of simmering with the corn and rice included.

No comments:

Post a Comment