Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Gluten Free Veggie Pasta Sauce

It's half way through another week and I still have tomatoes leftover from my parents garden. Who knew my mom was being literal when she said she was bringing me a to!? The last thing I could possibly think to make of was sauce...and I can't really complain about that. ;)

I wasn't really in the mood for pasta so I served my fresh sauce over quinoa and topped it off with fresh mozzarella. It was delish! And as always, I made a pretty large batch of the sauce so I could save some for later. There's nothing better than defrosting homemade sauce instead opening a jar full of preservatives, don't you think?

Recipes:
2 24oz cans of crushed tomatoes
1 24oz can whole plum tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 red pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning 

Directions:
1) Heat the olive oil over medium high heat and saute onions and red pepper until softened, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic and stir for another minute to incorporate.
2) Carefully, add the can of whole plum tomatoes, hand squeezing each tomato into the pot to break them up a bit. (I always manage to squirt my entire kitchen during this process.) Next, add cans of crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and bring pot to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment