Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Trader Joe's Blessing: Shredded Brussels Sprouts!

I've been on a Trader Joe's kick lately. I don't know how people can hate that place (yes, haters exist. Trust me.) Not only do they have delicious options but it's cheap too. I can get a massive bag of fruit, veggies and snacks for less than $20. Amazing!

Two of my favorite products lately are the gluten free coconut chips and shredded Brussels sprouts (not to be eaten together, of course). The coconut chips are a great snack when I'm on the run. I usually toss them into the TJ's raw cashew, almond and dried cranberry mix. So delicious.

Brussels spouts, on the other hand, are best enjoyed after a little sauteing.  I love sauteing half the bag of sprouts with a third of a bag of chopped kale and half a chopped onion. Once they're softened, I add a dash of lemon juice and season with salt, pepper and a little Parmesan and voila, an amazing side dish! I've gotten into such a habit of making these I tried two main-dish options that I love equally: kale and Brussels pizza and kale and Brussels with shrimp. They're both super delicious and easy to prepare

Kale, Brussels Sprouts and Onion pizza:
First, cook the kale, sprouts and onions as directed above, sans Parmesan. Take your favorite prepared gluten free pizza crust and spread a tablespoon of olive oil to cover. Next, sprinkle some freshly shaved Parmesan to your liking. Personally, I love a thick layer of cheese. Lastly, spread kale-Brussels mix evenly over the top and season with salt and pepper. Bake until crust is cooked through and cheese is melted.


Kale and Brussels Sprouts with Shrimp:
Prepare kale and Brussels as directed above. In a separate sauté pan, heat a tablespoon of butter over medium heat and toss in 8 to 10 shrimp. Cook for about two minutes on each side, until pink. Season with salt and pepper then toss over kale and Brussels.

Two amazing dishes sharing the same easy to prep ingredients. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment