Sunday, April 5, 2015

Fastest Spaghetti Squash Ever

2014 was a year of food discovery for me. I became hooked on butternut squash, chia seeds, almond milk  and spaghetti squash. Obviously, I knew about all of these foods prior to last year but never bothered to try them.

Spaghetti squash was the last thing I marked off my list. I was craving my fave bolognese sauce but didn't want to pair it with heavy pasta. I was at Whole Foods and picked up one of the biggest ones they had... having no idea how much spaghetti the squash would produce. If you don't know already, it is a TON of spaghetti squash.

After some searching I learned you could pop these things right in the microwave instead of letting them roast for an hour. 12 minutes to perfectly cooked squash? Sign me up!  I started by poking holes all over the entire surface of the squash using a fork. I set it on a plate and microwaved it on high for 6 minutes then flipped it and cooked for another 6 minutes. That's it! After it cooled a bit, I cut it in half and let it continue to cool until I could comfortably handle it. To get the squash in spaghetti form all you have to do is remove the seeds the scrape the sides starting from the top moving forward with a fork. Little shreds of noodle-like squash separate themselves from the skin then voila! You have your guilt (and gluten) free spaghetti base for your dish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment