Thursday, December 1, 2011

Quick Fix: Shrimp and Tomato Quinoa

Wednesday night is never a great night for me to cook. I typically arrive home exhausted with little energy to cook. On a positive note, the cause for my fatigue relates to my love for food as well as helping others. I spend Wednesday nights chopping and prepping food at God's Love We Deliver (GLWD). 

GLWD's provides thousands of meals each week to women, men and children living with HIV/AIDS, cancer and other serious illnesses. These meals provide not only high-quality nutritious meals but also aid in boost the spirits of each client when their food delivery arrives to their home. 

My part in this wonderful organization begins at the root of each dish. Each week, I work with 10 to 15 other volunteers to slice and dice vegetables that are eventually used in soups, stews and side dishes. These are then incorporated into GLWD's daily menu and sent off to the clients. It is an amazing organization to be a part of. 

With that said, after two hours of chopping in the kitchen, I don't really feel like making dinner when I get home. I was fortunate enough to change all that tonight. On my ride home, I came up with a great, quick and healthy meal: Shrimp with Tomato and Quinoa. It was light and delicious but packed full of protein. 

 Recipe:
11 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (I halved cherry tomatoes, but you can certainly use any kind you have on hand)
1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1) Begin by preparing your quinoa. Rinse one cup of dried quinoa and place in a pan with the two cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, turn to low and let simmer until all water is absorbed and quinoa is fluff, about 20 - 25 minutes.
2) In a sautee pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Toss in shrimp and cooked all the way through,  about 2 minutes on each side. Push shrimp to the side of the pan, away from heat and stir in tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are tender.
3) Pull shrimp from side of pan and mix with tomato mixture. Top with quinoa and mix until cobined with tomatoes and shrimp. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment