Thursday, December 29, 2011

Chicken Minestrone

It's time to shed that holiday weight!! Without fail, I always manage to pack on a few pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Maybe it was the excessive amount of cookie dough brownies, but it's hard to say... ;)

Unlike most New Yorkers, I'm stuck in the office this week so my healthy meal also had to be a quick one. I had left over chicken in the fridge, from you know where...Costco! After looking through my fridge, I discovered I had all the ingredients to make my own version of Minestrone soup, with chicken!! It was deeeelicious and super filling! (And healthy to boot!)

Recipe:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups chicken broth
2 15 oz cans diced tomato
10 oz can Cannellini beans
15 oz can chick peas
1 tbsp all-purpose seasoning
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 1/2 cups pasta, any tube shape
Pre-cooked, shredded chicken

Directions:
1) Heat oil over medium heat. Add in onion, celery and carrot and saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
2) Add the tomatoes, broth, beans, chick peas and herbs and bring to a boil. Turn down and heat and simmer to 20 minutes. 
3) Add the pasta and cook for 6 minutes. Add in chicken and cook until chicken is heated through, about 3-4 minutes.
4) Let cool, serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment