The holidays are coming and my schedule is packed! Almost every night for the last two weeks I have had something planned after work. Sadly, while I am out having fun, you readers are probably getting worried! Yes, I'm still here...just not in the kitchen.
I've had a wonderfully relaxing weekend and thought it would only be right to round the night out with a great meal. I wanted to try something refreshing but equally healthy. Lemon-sage Chicken with a side of Spinach and Swiss Chard hit the spot!
This dish is amazingly easy and pretty delicious too! We opted out of starch with this meal, but you could easily serve it with a side of cous-cous or quinoa and it be equally great!
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lbs)
4 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
2 large eggs
juice of 1 lemon
4 sprigs of sage, leaves only
3/4 cup cup chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 tbsp butter
1 10oz package of mixed Swiss chard and spinach leaves
1) Rinse and dry chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a shallow dish, pour some flour and sprinkle with salt. In another shallow dish, lightly beat the eggs then add juice from the lemon.
2) Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dredge chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess. Next, dip in the lemon-egg mixture, coating both sides. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until golden on the bottom, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sage to the skillet, then turn the cutlets and cook until golden on the other side, about 3 to 4 more minutes. Transfer cutlets and sage to a paper towel lined plate.
3) Drain out any remaining oil from skillet. Add the win and chicken broth and cook over medium-high heat until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the butter and stir until blended.
4) Transfer the chicken to a platter. Top with the fried sage then drizzle with the pan sauce.
5) In the same pan the sauce was cooked in, add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to pan over medium high heat. Toss in chard and spinach leaves. Cook, covered for 1 minute. Stir, then cook for another minute.6) Remove from heat and plate with chicken. Enjoy!