Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Creamy Chicken, Asparagus and Mushroom Pasta

Anytime I take a trip to Trader Joe's, I find myself stuck in the produce section staring aimlessly at their amazing selection of fruit and veggies. I end up tossing everything that looks fresh and appetizing into my cart unless I am prepared with a full grocery list. The way I see it is you can't go wrong stocking up on nutritious ingredients... as long as you use them before they spoil.

Last weekend I knew I wanted to make my roasted tomato veggie casserole. After stocking up on the ingredients I wandered to the cooler section to grab zucchini to complete the dish and noticed the asparagus..then the mushrooms...then Brussels sprouts. I was overwhelmed and couldn't resist purchasing all three ingredients.  Within minutes, I figured out how to use it and continued on my way through the store. (Brussels sprouts will be used later this week.)

Recipe:
Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lb chicken breast, cubed (seasoned with salt, pepper, and oregano)
1 bunch of asparagus, stems removed, diced in about two inch sticks
1 cup sliced portabella mushrooms
1/2 red onion, diced
1 glove garlic, smashed
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup Parmesan
8 oz gluten free pasta (Trader's brown rice and quinoa pasta is the best!)
Salt, pepper and oregano to taste

Directions:
1) Cook pasta as directed on package. Rinse then set aside.
2) While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add seasoned cubed chicken and cooked until no longer pink. Remove chicken and set aside. To that heated pan, add mushrooms, onion and asparagus and cook until softened. Stir chicken and pasta in with veggies then remove from heat.
3) Once pasta and veggies are cooked heat the butter in your sauce pan over medium heat, until melted. Add heavy cream and cook until cream starts to bubble and looks thickened. Stir in Parmesan then salt and pepper as desired. Remove from heat then toss over pasta mixture.

Because I am a Parmesan fanatic, I always add more to my dish as I eat. This meal is insanely delicious!! And to me, I feel no guilt in the creamy cheesy sauce since it's packed full of healthy veggies and chicken! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment