Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Meat and Potatoes!

Growing up, meat and potatoes was a staple in my house. My dad grew up eating it so that is what he always wanted to eat as an adult. We would literally eat some form of meat and potatoes 4 to 5 nights a week. I never found this odd because that is what I thought dinner was suppose to be.

Now that I'm older, I see that I missed out on a variety of different foods, which is why I enjoy trying new recipes. But tonight, I channeled back to the early 90's and made steak and potatoes!


Steak with Carriage House Sauce

Recipe:
2 8 oz rib eye steaks
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tsp ground black pepper

1) Score steaks on both sides and set aside.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, sugar, mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic and black pepper. Brush mixture all over both sides of steak.
3) Heat grill pan on high and add steaks. Grill, turning once and basting several times with mustard mixture. Flip steak periodically until cooked to your liking (10 - 12 minutes for medium-rare.)

When finished, heat up any left-over mustard mixture and pour over steak. This sauce is very tasty, you'll want a lot of extra for dipping!


Obviously, you can't have meat without potatoes. I am very comfortable baking, mashing or frying potatoes so tonight, I tried something new. I found a great recipe for baked potato wedges in my Better Home & Garden New Cookbook: Prizewinning Recipes cookbook. This recipe called for Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning, but I skipped these ingredients and instead, sprinkled blue cheese over the potatoes half way through cooking. It was a nice touch!


Potato Wedge Recipe:
6 medium baking potatoes
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 glove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 15x10 baking pan with foil; set aside.
2) Cut each potato lengthwise into 8 wedges. In a large bowl stir together butter, salt, pepper and garlic. Dip wedges into butter mixture and place on baking pan.
3) Bake, uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until tender.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment