Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Double Trouble

I've made it my goal to cook every night this week. That's right, every single night! I know that I've said it before, but this time I mean it! It's already Wednesday and I cooked Saturday, Sunday, Monday AND Tuesday! I think that's a pretty good streak already. Aside from the fun of doing this, making a plan to cook every night really helps my budget. I took some time Sunday to look through my SHAPE Low Fat & Easy Recipe Book. I found so many recipes that looked amazing so I had to go back through the book and re-tab recipes to make this week.

$100 dollars and 8 meals later, I was back home from the grocery store, ready to cook! I stared with Sunday's asparagus soup and continued tonight with a double menu. I'm a huge fan of pizza and could eat it all the time, but my boyfriend is not. But he LOVES broccoli raab, and I can't stand it. So to make dinner for the both of us, I did twice the work. Turkey, sausage and onion pizza for me and chicken, broccoli raab and roasted tomato pasta for him. I have to admit, cooking two different meals was a bit challenging but as soon as I put together the pizza and set it aside, I could focus on the pasta dish until it was time to bake the pie.

Both recipes turned out great! The pizza was extremely savory and from what I heard, the broccoli raab pasta had the perfect punch of subtle bitter flavors.


Turkey, Sausage and Onion Pizza


Recipe:
2 links of 85% fat free Italian turkey sausage
1 10 oz Boboli Thin Pizza Crust
1 cup garlic and herb pasta sauce
1/2 tomato, sliced in to thin rounds
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp oregano
ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place sausage links in a shallow bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes. (This will precook links and render some additional fat.)
2) Place Boboli crust on a pizza pan or baking sheet and spread sauce evenly over crust. Arrange tomato rounds and onion slices on top of sauce. Remove sausages from microwave and lice into 1/4 inch thick rounds, then place over tomatoes and onions. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella, garlic powder, oregano then black pepper.
3) Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

Chicken, Broccoli Raab and Roasted Romato Pasta

Recipe:
1 28oz can whole plum tomatoes, drained
10 oz pasta (preferably small noodles)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed with flat side of knife
1 pound broccoli raab, washed well, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
1) To roast tomatoes, preheat over to 350 degrees. Place tomatoes on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Roast 90 minutes, turning after 45 minutes, until very soft and slightly blackened. Once cooled, chop and set aside. (I thought this was absolutely crazy. Who has 90 minutes on a week night to roast tomatoes. I took a short cut and put them in the broiler until a few of them started to blacken, about 15 minutes.)
2) Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of liquid.
3) Cut chicken into small pieces and grill until thoroughly cooked.
4) In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add crushed garlic and cook until slightly golden, 1-2 minutes. Add broccoli raab to skilled; raise heat to high. Cook, tossing constantly, until greens are just wilted, 4-5 minutes. Add tomatoes, chicken, cooked pasta, reserved cooking liquid, red wine vinegar and pepper. Toss well.



Things got a little crazy while trying to chop, measure, mix, boil and bake two full meals, but it was a lot of fun. I don't know what it is, but I get a thrill out of multi-tasking in the kitchen and LOVE tasting the final result at the end of it all. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment