Saturday, March 6, 2010

Veggie Fettuccine Alfredo

I couldn't go a full week without whipping up a pasta dish so I searched through the SHAPE Lowfat and Easy cookbook for something new to try. SHAPE had a great recipe for Spinach Fettuccine Alfredo with broccoli and chicken.

I typically buy white or whole wheat noodles so I was very interested in tasting spinach. Unfortunately, my grocery store didn't have any, but I found a great substitute. Ronzoni now carries a selection of garden vegetable noodles, so I picked up a box of carrot, tomato and spinach fettuccine. These noodles added a subtle but very nice flavor to the dish.

If you're looking for a quick, well rounded meal, you have to give this a try. I know that homemade sauces tend to scare people off, but I promise, this is one of the easiest to make.


Recipe:
12 oz spinach or vegetable fettuccine (I used Ronzoni Veggie Fettuccine)
2 cups broccoli florets
2 tsp olive oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

1) Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli for the last 30 seconds. Drain and return pasta and broccoli to pot.
2) Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skilled over medium-high heat. Add chicken and garlic, and cook 3-5 minutes, until chicken is golden brown on all sides. Add flour, salt and pepper, and stir to coat. Add nonfat milk and 2 tablespoons cheese, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer 1-2 minutes, until sauce thickens.
3) Pour sauce over fettuccine and broccoli and toss to combine. Transfer mixture to individual plates and top with remaining cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment