Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Three Cheese Vegetable Quesadillas

I try to make meals that don't force me to buy a ton of ingredients that I don't already have. I love trying new things, but it's never fun when you spend money on special ingredients that you are only going to use on one dish, leaving the rest of to rot.

To make things easy on myself, I found a recipe in my SHAPE lowfat and easy cook book for a three cheese vegetable quesadillas. I was interested to say the least. This quesadilla called for a combination of mozzarella, feta and blue cheese. I LOVE all three of these cheese, but wasn't sure how they'd taste combined.

When this dish was complete, I wasn't particularly keen on the combination, but loved the veggies. I think this would have been much better with just mozz. You may disagree, so see for yourself!


Recipe:

1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tsp of blue cheese
1 tsp olive oil
2 medium tomatoes, diced
6 scallions, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried
3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
8 8-inch tortillas

Directions:
1) Combine cheeses in a bowl; set aside.
2) Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes, scallions, jalapeno, garlic and oregano and cook 2 minutes, until fragrant, stirring frequently. Stir in cilantro. Remove vegetables from pan; set aside.
3) Return skillet to heat and add 1 tortilla. Top 1/2 of tortilla with 2 tbsps each of cheese mixture and and vegetable mixture. Fold over untopped side and cook 1 minute per side, until cheese melts. Remove from pan and cover with foil to keep warm. Cut each quesadilla into 3 wedges and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment