Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Get Your Hot Dogs Here!!

Nothing says summer like a Nathan's hot dog! Last weekend I took a trip to Coney Island and could not get enough! I order one hot dog from the authentic Nathan's hot dog stand...home of the National hot dog eating contest. And BOY! It was delicious!

The next day while vegging out, I spent countless hours watching Food Network. And of course the one episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay that I watched was the best hot dog competition. After my little Nathan's tease the day before, I couldn't help but salivate over the concoctions being created on TV. I was completely inspired and had to make my own version of Bobby's competitors dog: Mac & Cheese dog.


I couldn't just stop at throwing on plain old mac and cheese so I loosely followed the recipe from the show and added my own special twist.



Recipe:
4 hot dogs (Nathan's or any with casing are the best!)
4 hot dog buns
8 oz gemelli noodles
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup gruyere cheese
1 cup frozen corn
cayenne pepper, as desired
Parmesan cheese, as desired.

1) Cook noodles as directed on the package. Drain and set aside.
2) In a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Once melted, add flour and stir continuously for one minute, fully combining flour. Add cheese and heavy cream and stir until well blended. Add noodles and stir until combined. (If desired, sprinkle a little cayenne and parmesan. It was a great touch!)
3) Meanwhile, heat frying pan over medium heat. Cook hot dogs until heated through and slightly crispy on the outside. In the same pan, remove hot dogs and heat buns until toasted.
4) Heat corn, then add butter, a dash of cayenne and parmesan.
5) Plate meal by placing hot dog on bun then gently lay mac and cheese on top, then corn on top of that.

This sounds like a lot of work, but it was super easy and seemed effortless. I was even able to easily bring this to work the next day, packaging all ingredients separately of course...and let me tell you...people were very jealous of my lunch!

The flavors came together wonderfully! I'm not sure that I'll ever eat a hot dog plain again. I am definitely going to have to try new toppings sometimes soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment