Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Grilled (To Perfection) Steak

London broil shoulder steaks were on sale this week so I had to pick one up. I am getting my wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow so I want to take advantage of having full chewing capabilities for one last time so tonight was the perfect night to grill these babies up! Besides, what's better than a grilled steak in the summer?

I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and make a citrus marinade for the meat. I searched Food Network and found the perfect recipe for influence. (I say influence because the recipe I found contains Tequlia, and I am NOT a Tequila kind of person.) I was successfully able to tweak this recipe to add the perfect fresh and tangy kick to my steak.

When I was set and ready to pass the meat off to my boyfriend to grill, I found myself in quite a pickle. He had just gotten home from the gym and desperately needed to shower. It was going on 9 o'clock and time and sunlight were not on my side, so I was on my own. I marched up to my rooftop on my own and set out to grill the most perfect steak. After cooking about 15 minutes on 400 to 500 degrees, I pulled the meat off the grill. The roof was pitch dark so I had only the light of my cell phone to see whether or not my steak was fully cooked. It looked done, so I took it to my apartment for the final look. And to my shock... IT WAS PERFECT!! I was so proud of myself... it was a light shade of pink and was incredibly moist and tender. Now on to the recipe!



Recipe:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 shallot, roughly chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp dry cumin (FN recipe called for 2 tsp toasted cumin seeds)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (FN called for lime juice)
1 tbsp vinegar (I added this in last minute to add some tang to the marinade since I was not adding the required 1/4 cup of Tequila needed in this recipe.)

Combine all ingredients in a zip lock bag. Add meat, shake to coat and let sit in fridge for 1 hour. Before grilling, remove meat from grill, shake access marinade and let rest until room temperature before cooking.

Click here for actual marinade recipe from FN. It is quite intense! Sounds delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment