Thursday, November 19, 2009

Penne a la Vodka

I didn't have much in my fridge this week, nor did I have the energy to cook after working overtime almost every night. Lucky for me, I always have pasta sauce and noodles on hand. Plain red-sauce can get boring, so to mix things up I made vodka sauce! The only additional ingredient I had to buy for this recipe was Vodka, and based on my recent work load, I know I'll be craving a cocktail or two this weekend. ;)

Recipe:
1 quart of simple tomato sauce (homemade or store bought marinara - I used Ragu)
3/4 cup vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
1/2 grated Parmesan
1 pound penne (I used whole wheat - It was fabulous!)

1) Cook pasta as directed. Strain and set aside.
2) Simmer tomato sauce and vodka in a heavy large skillet over low heat until the mixture reduces by 1/4, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
3) Stir cream into the tomato/vodka sauce. Simmer over low heat until sauce is heated through
4) Stir in Parmesan cheese until melted and well blended
5) Add pasta to sauce and toss to coat.

This sauce tastes great! If you like protein with your pasta, chicken or sausage would be a great addition.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment