1 box jumbo shells
1 lb Spicy Italian Sausage
1 clove garlic (3/4 piece for meat, 1/4 piece for spinach)
Pinch of red pepper flakes
2 28 oz cans whole tomatoes (pulsed in food processor or blender until smooth)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
3 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
Pinch of salt
32oz container of Ricotta Cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Place sausage into a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until browned and crumbled. Drain and return back to skillet. Stir in garlic over medium heat for 1 minute then add in red pepper flakes, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
3. Place olive oil into a medium skillet over medium heat. Add in spinach and garlic. Cook until wilted down. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Stir in Ricotta, Parmesan, Mozzarella, egg, salt and pepper; mix well.
4. Spoon about 1/2 cup pasta sauce into bottom of 2 9×13 inch baking dishes.
5. Drop 1 piece of spicy sausage from sauce mix into cooked shell then spoon ricotta filling (about 2 tbsps,) then place shells seam side down into baking dishes.
6. Top shells evenly with sauce then shredded cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
I have to admit that this recipe made enough food to feed 8 to 10 people. I froze quite a bit to eat at a later date
Recipe adapted from Picky-Palate