Monday, February 16, 2015

Quinoa, Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Hash

I have a small problem with walking into Trader Joe's or Whole Foods without a grocery list. As soon as I see stocked aisles of produces my mind reels. Whatever looks fresh and yummy usually ends up in my cart. My feeling is that I can always make a great salad or scrumptious soup.

Shopping over the last week has left me with the following ingredients: spinach, butternut squash, brussels sprouts, onions, red pepper, grapes, pomegranate seeds, mushrooms, edamame and raspberries. So far, I've made a salads and had plenty of fruit filled snack breaks. Tonight, I wanted something warm, filling and comforting.  I think I put together the perfect dish! Quinoa, Butternust Squash and Brussels Sprout Hash. It turned out absolutely delicious!! If you prefer different veggies, feel free to swap for them. :)

Recipe:
Ingredients:
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1 lb Butternut Squash, diced square
1 small onion, diced
1 small sweet potato
1/2 lb Brussels Sprouts, finely chopped
1/4 cup mushrooms, diced
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1) Pop the sweet potato in your microwave and click the baked potato button. A few minutes later, you'll be all set!
2) Next, cook the quinoa. Combine 1/2 cup of quinoa with 1 cup water in a stock pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil then simmer until water has evaporate. Quinoa will be moist and fluffy.
3) While the quinoa cooks, heat a sautee pan over medium high heat. Add the butternut squash and sautee for about 5 minutes. Next,  add onion and Brussels sprouts. Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper and cook for about 10 minutes. Finally, add mushrooms and sweet potato and cook until all vegetables are tender and browned. 
4) Add cooked quinoa to vegetable mix, stirring thoroughly. Once combined, top with pomegranate seeds. Serve and enjoy!

I loved the kick of sweet crunch the pomegranate seeds gave the dish! I could add those things to almost anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment