Friday, February 20, 2015

Tuna and Veggie Pasta in a Greek Yogurt Sauce

You know that awful feeling... when you can't think of what to make for dinner? That happened to me tonight. On my FREEZING walk home I tried to think of what the heck I had in my fridge that would come together as a health meal. (Unlike last Thursday, when I made popcorn and at that for dinner.)

I had plenty of veggies on the brink of spoiling, pasta, quinoa, tuna, frozen ground turkey, some frozen veggies and Greek yogurt. After staring into my pantry for what felt like 20 minutes I realized a yummy tuna pasta dish would be great! I grew up on buttered noodles with tuna and peas but wanted to incorporate a few more veggies so with a little finessing, I concocted a delicious tuna, red pepper, and pea pasta with Greek yogurt sauce! It was ridiculously easy and super delicious!

Recipe:
Ingredients:
8 oz of your fave gluten free pasta - linguine, fettucine, or spaghetti
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 can of tuna, packed in water
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of frozen peas
1 red pepper, diced small
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
ground pepper to taste

Directions:
1) Cook pasta as directed on package. When the noodles have about one to two minutes left until finished, add frozen peas to pasta water to cook through. Before straining, reserve about 1/2 cup of pasta water to add to sauce.
2) Meanwhile, saute red pepper over medium high heat with 1/2 tsp of the olive oil, until softened.
3) Combine remaining 1/2 tsp of oil, tuna, yogurt, salt, pepper and garlic salt together in a bowl and stir until the tuna and all other ingredients are event distributed.
4) To assemble dish, combine pasta and veggies together in a bowl then add yogurt sauce and stir. The sauce will be a bit thick, despite the heat from the noodles so add a bit of the reserved pasta water to thin out until sauce is at a creamy consistency.

Enjoy this quick, healthy dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment