Saturday, February 28, 2015

Sweet Potato with Ground Turkey and Veggie Hash

Sweet potatoes!! Another delicious nutritious food that I recently started eating. Yes, at 30 years old, this is a newer food to me. For some reason, I always disliked the taste. What's not to like?? They're starchy, sweeter and packed full of health benefits.

I've been on a huge sweet potato kick the last two months. Usually, I eat them as a side dish but I saw a great recipe for sweet potato sliders, using the potato as the bun. I really liked the idea but wanted to make the meal more rustic and put together a burger-like hash. It was great! The ingredients came together making each bite very balanced from a flavor perspective.

Recipe:
Ingredients:
1 medium sweet potato
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 lb ground turkey
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/4 cup of corn
1/2 onion, diced
1/4 cup mushrooms
1 clove garlic, smashed
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1) Wash then bake potato until fully cooked. I popped mine in the microwave so I didn't have to put in much effort.
2) Over medium-high heat, heat olive oil then cook turkey until fully browned. Add in onion, pepper, corn, garlic and mushrooms until all veggies are softened. Season with salt and pepper.
3) Cut cooked potato in half on a plate then spoon turkey and veggie hash on top.

Voila! A fully balanced dinner in 20 minutes or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment